Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dearborn, Michigan

God has been preparing me my whole life to follow His will for my future, but until this summer I didn’t really know what he wanted me to do. This past summer my intellect, character, and Christian faith were stretched while on a missions trip to Dearborn, Michigan with my church youth group.
Walking out of Angel House the first day of the trip wearing my long skirt and long sleeved shirt in the hot June air, I realized I was not in Boston anymore. Around me were men and women from Yemen, Iraq, and Lebanon. The women wore hijabs to cover their hair and long black robes to cover their arms and legs. I helped the people in the community by selling toys, furniture, and clothing to them. The first day in Dearborn I was immersed in the Muslim culture, which I found completely different than my own. I was intrigued with their lifestyle and wanted to learn more about them.
While in Dearborn, the woman who ran Angel House taught me all about the Muslim culture. I visited museums and mosques everyday to learn and see their cultural practices. Everyday I would debrief with my team to discuss what we had learned that day. We ate in a restaurant serving a different country’s food every night. My knowledge on the Muslim culture and Islam was constantly growing as I listened, was immersed, and talked to people of those cultures. I would step into the culture every morning when the Muslim women came to Angel House for English lessons. I befriended the women and came to know more about their lives as the short week went on. In going on this trip I learned to step out of my comfort zone and look into other cultures. My insight into the lives of the women that I worked with changed my life. After leaving Dearborn, God has laid on my heart the desire to continue to learn more about Muslim culture in general and Yemen specifically.
Living out my faith is a mission engraved on my heart. I am continually amazed by the fact that when I was in Dearborn I was completely out of my comfort zone, but in the end I found out and truly learned about what I am supposed to be. I was able to learn how to reach out to others in new ways and developed a greater love for friendships. I was able to share with fellow members on my trip about God’s work in my life the past year. But the most important thing I learned from the trip was that wherever I am, I want to use my job as a mission to those around me. Some may not understand how much this trip has changed my life. It was only a week, but God redefined me in those few days. Since the Dearborn trip I have been learning more about missions to Muslims and about Yemen because I feel that God has laid on my heart a desire to be in missions and to be a nurse. God has given me a passion for Yemen and I have learned that it is possible to dream big while following His vision for my life. I look forward to the chance to learn more about Islam and Yemen as I am working to understand God’s will for my life. Mr. Chen is allowing me to write on this blog to share what I learned with all of you! Prepare yourself it may be a crazy ride of learning!

No comments: